The global corporate landscape is marked by the constant search for efficiency, innovation and optimization of internal processes. That is why implementing the SAP (Systems, Applications, and Products) system has emerged as a key strategy for companies looking to integrate and improve their operations. In this article, we cover the stages of implementation and the main professionals/skills you need to implement SAP for your company efficiently and with the least possible risk.
What are the stages of SAP implementation and how offshore outsourcing professionals can help
A quality SAP implementation required well-defined stages and qualified professionals to execute them. We have highlighted the main implementation stages as well as the key skills/functions that the experts participating in the project need to master.
This first phase is where the entire project is prepared, including a detailed scope and estimate. The stages in this first phase include:
- Creation of an implementation plan (scope, estimate, planning, schedule and team definition);
- Installation of the SAP software and database.
Project preparation is very important for the development and success of your company’s entire SAP implementation, so choosing the right professionals with proper qualifications could make all the difference. The choice of professionals that have experience in the area, as well as with diverse and complex projects, is an advantage that you can enjoy when you outsource professionals for your implementation.
Professionals/skills required for the planning phase:
- Project Manager: Responsible for the planning, execution and overall monitoring of the project.
- SAP Solution Architect: Defines the global architecture of the SAP system and aligns solutions with the business objectives.
- Business Analyst: Collects and documents the business requirements, ensuring that they are translated into SAP functionalities.
In the second part of the SAP implementation project, it’s time for the team to detail your company’s needs and business processes. In this phase, the needs are mapped out in search of a solution.
- Survey of business processes;
- Project management;
- Organizational changes and strategies for addressing them;
- Organizational needs and changes;
- Definition of new business processes.
Professionals/skills necessary for the planning phase:
- SAP Functional Consultant: Analyzes business requirements and translates them into technical specifications for system configuration.
- Business Process Expert: Offers expertise in business processes and assists in modeling processes in SAP.
This is when all the technical and business process requirements defined in the Business Blueprint phase are implemented. The main points you need to accomplish are:
- Development of external programs;
- Implementation of interfaces;
- System and integration testing;
- Documentation of scenarios and processes;
- Training plans; and
- Bug tracking.
The skills that professionals need in this stage are more technical. SAP professionals are the ones who can configure and customize each stage according to your company’s needs. Here are some of the professionals and/or technical skills needed:
- SAP Configuration Specialist: Configures the SAP system according to functional specifications.
- SAP Developer: Develops customizations and tailor-made codes, if necessary.
- Technical Specialist: Ensures the technical integration of the SAP system with other technologies.
- Training Consultant: Prepares and gives training to SAP end users.
- Implementation Consultant: Helps with data migration and ensures a smooth transition to the new system.
This stage precedes the start of operations, where final testing, training, adjustments and checks are conducted. The main tasks in this stage include:
- Implementation strategy;
- Final training;
- Final testing;
- Cutover activities completed (planned activities that must be completed during and after Go Live).
Some of the professionals required for this stage are:
- SAP Tester: Plans and executes functional and integration tests in the SAP system.
- Quality Assurance Analyst: Ensures that quality standards are maintained during the testing process.
Go Live and Support
This stage marks the beginning of the system’s operation and the end of the implementation process. At this point, monitoring of the system in operation, go-live support and general performance improvements, if necessary, are conducted. Some of the activities for this stage include:
- Monitoring the new system in operation;
- Resolution of pending problems;
- Revision of the project;
- User support;
- Project finalization.
The main skills/professionals required in this stage include:
- Support Analyst: Provides continuous technical support to SAP users.
- SAP Enhancement Specialist: Identifies and implements improvements and updates after implementation.
Benefits of Hiring Offshore Outsourced Professionals in SAP Implementation
The benefits of outsourcing professionals for your company’s SAP implementation go far beyond cost savings. Check out some of the advantages that this type of hiring can bring.
Choosing qualified outsourced professionals for your company’s SAP implementation cuts hiring and in-house training costs. You can hire specialists in different areas, reducing the preparation time for implementation.
Access to professionals with diverse skills
You are able to access the best talents who are up to date on SAP development and have experience in diverse and complex jobs. That way, you avoid the learning curve that may be necessary for other professionals.
Higher productivity and efficiency
With access to professionals who have the necessary qualifications in various aspects of the system, it is possible to get the job done in less time and with fewer errors. In addition, experienced professionals who work on projects remotely are more accustomed to working on projects with specifications that may vary. These professionals have the flexibility and knowledge to respond quickly to change.
Hiring flexibility and scalability
The team can be sized according to the project needs, increasing or decreasing the number of professionals according to demand. This agility makes it possible to adapt to changes in project requirements without the need to recruit new staff locally.
Offshore teams can work in different time zones, allowing for continuous coverage and uninterrupted support if required. This is especially beneficial for companies with global operations or that need 24/7 support during SAP implementation.
Cultural Diversity and Global Collaboration
Working with offshore professionals gives companies the opportunity to promote cultural diversity in their teams. This can lead to richer collaboration, bringing unique perspectives and innovative solutions to the challenges faced during SAP implementation.
How can you hire the best SAP experts through Alstra?
➡ Select your SAP professional
Compare pitches and proposals from our Experts, schedule interviews and choose the best match.
➡ Contracts and compliance
We take care of all administrative matters, ensuring rock solid compliance with local and global regulations.
➡ Manage only what matters
You can manage milestones, project duration and keep track of all that matters to your company through a dedicated dashboard.
Alstra is a solution that allows experts from different fields to work on strategic projects in renowned companies throughout the world. It helps leading companies access agile, flexible, and on-demand hiring to continue innovating in the new world of work.